Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nature Portfolio- Weather Experiance

Weather Experience

As a kid I would spend my summers at the Great Gilson beach camp in Wilmette.  It was a magical place where I had many friends and adventures. One of the most memorable adventures was in the summer of 2006. I was eleven years old, and classified as an “Astronaut.” The camp had multiple group names depending upon the age of the campers. The order from youngest to oldest was as follows: Munchkins, Gizmos, Aquanauts, Astronauts, and Space Cadets. Walking into camp on that morning, I looked up out to the Wallace Bowl. It was a huge place, with a stage on the ground and stone steps reaching at least 100 feet into the air. That’s where the campers would meet and await the day’s instructions or special announcements. That particular day, it was a bit overcast and drizzling. I had been afraid we were all going to have to stay indoors in the cramped park district building due to a thunderstorm. At camp, when it rained lightly it was called, “liquid sunshine” and we would remain outside for the day in spite of the weather.
I quickly made my way to my group of friends and greeted them. They were buzzing. “I bet it’ll be today!” exclaimed my friend Amila. She was a blonde gymnast who was by far the sassiest and most stubborn girl I had ever met in my life. We had become best friends instantly when we met two years before.
            “Yes!” screamed Izzy, my other friend. She was Italian with dark hair, who was always up for anything. The three of us were a great group, although probably a bit of a handful to the counselors who worked there. The name “troublemakers” was not an uncommon name for us.
            “What’s going on?” I had asked, eagerly waiting to hear the exciting news. I was only in the suburbs for the summers with my father, and often had to catch up on the traditions and events within the area by asking.
            “Today’s a wave day!” Amila whispered. I had no idea what that meant, but I was excited because of all the hype it was starting around camp.
            “Now, now campers!” bellowed out the director Mr. Miller. “Today the waves are pretty high and the rain has begun…so I am afraid that we’ll have to…” I could begin to feel the groans waiting to be released by the campers.
            “Have a double-dip in the liquid sunshine for Astronauts and Space Cadets!” he yelled. The whole camp jumped up and cheered for the old gray haired, plump man.  A double dip at camp was always the best of days because instead of going to the beach once, we got to go twice.  Luckily, our group was up to the beach first so Izzy, Amila, and I walked along the green fields with the rest of the group, to the beach a block away. Once I caught sight of the waters, I knew what all the fuss had been about. The waves were riveting. They crashed up and down at least five feet into the air. The waters were dark and the winds were high, blowing my hair all over my face. Immediately, all the Astronauts and Space Cadets raced for the water.
            I remember the water was surprisingly warm. Amila, Izzy, and I laughed and squealed as we tried to climb out farther and farther, with the waves breaking on us every five seconds. When I say breaking, I mean pounded. The waves were the strongest that day I have ever felt in my entire life. There were rows of campers shoulder deep in the water, awaiting every wave. Out that far, when a wave came, it was at least four feet above your head. There was the constant screaming and laughter of the, “Watch outs!” as kids got slammed into the sand. One particular wave came by, probably eight feet above my head standing up. Amila and I held hands as it slapped us and brought us down into the water. The under toe swept the hold of feet in the sand below, and tumbled us upon each other down the shore. We were amazed as we were finally let go of the current’s grasp at a measly foot depth. We must have tumbled forty yards backward because of that wave. We both got up in a mixture of coughing, laughing, and screaming; and hurriedly limped back into deeper waters. 
            More waves days came later every couple of years, but the beach decided it didn’t want the liability and closed every time. That day was one of the most fun times I have ever had. I will never forget the meekness I felt standing up against the gargantuan waves. The whooshing of the wind and water breaking upon the shoreline was like the theme song to an action packed thriller that I was the star of.  The waves that day were truly my favorite weather experience.

Words: 832

No comments:

Post a Comment